The Shawshank Redemption

    Until I got a laptop in 2009, I had never seen a proper English movie. In college, the people, with whom I came into touch, were from all over the country and speak all the major languages. English was a bridge to connect all. That time, I heard that there are lots of good movies and series in the English language. And very soon it became the fad among students to watch series like F.R.I.E.N.D.S, HIMYM, Prison Break and several legendary series like these. When I first decided to watch some Hollywood movie, I just Googled ' best movie of all time'. And IMDb was there to help and I am and will be thankful to it always.


    A trivia which I came to know recently is that- there was a time in 1994 when movies like The Shawshank Redemption, Forest Gump, Pulp Fiction and two other incredible movies were in the theatre at the same time. When I watched 'The Shawshank Redemption' for the first time, it did not even take the movie to end to fall in love with it. I did not know the exact reason why I liked the movie so much: Whether it was that 'beautiful and innocent smile' on Andy's face or legendary narration by Morgan Freeman or simply for giving the message of hope.


   Before my accident, it was like a ritual to watch this movie every season. First few times, it was with subtitles and then soon the dialogues became like lyrics of my favorite songs. Anyway, after my accident,  it never occurred to me to watch it ever as I was busy (un)handling my life. Just a few days back somehow I came across this movie while going through my old hard drive. And I knew, at that instance, that I have to and have to write a blog about this movie. It felt like, I owe this to my all time favourite movie.



    By the way, I always wondered " why do I love this movie so much?". One iconic dialogue which, I think, everyone remembers is like: 'Remember, Red, hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things and no good thing ever dies. I always believed this to be true. In fact this 'hope' thing was the biggest factor in helping me to come out of mental depression; to able me to be where I am today- typing this blog.


   But, when last time I watched it, I exactly came to know that why, all along, I was in love with this movie. Hope is, indeed, a good thing but it is not the only thing. I would like to mention one dialogue which I have always missed:- 'get busy living or get busy dying'. I(probably us) always appreciated the sheer determination, hopefulness of Andy Dufresne but somehow could not rightfully acknowledge 'how he did spend his life in Shawshank while he was hoping and planning for his future'. All along for those 23 years, he kind of always knew that one day he will escape for sure but that never stopped him from living his life. e.g. asking beer for his friends, playing opera song or asking for Rita Hayworth(to cover the hole he was digging), he never stopped living. Or in other words, we can say that he was always busy living.


   Definitely, hope is the best of things but more than often, I have seen that people work so hard for things they have hoped but somewhere, in the process, stop living their lives. On a personal note, I always get an advice, 'never lose hope'. Being in a wheelchair, I will always keep hoping to be able to walk again, hold something and live that life again. But should that 'hope' stop me from living my life? A lot of fellow persons in wheelchair say that they are hoping for improvement and will think about what to do after that. Should I think same as them and wait and hope for my fingers to start functioning again or just use my wrist and type my feelings now(after 2 hours of hard work).


PS: 1) sorry for the long one and to those who have not watched the movie. If you have not watched it already, then you must must watch that.
       2) I have begun to feel that it is very difficult to write correctly: punctuation wise, syntax wise and grammatically(thanks to dictionary though) Your feedback on those things can help me improve a lot.


  Thank you for reading

  With Love,,
  Alok
   

Comments

  1. i have planned to watch the movie several time i didn't watch till the date but i will must watch the movie

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I love you IIMB